How did you start the new year? Well-rested? If not, maybe it's time to get a new mattress. And I can think of no better way to kick off my new blog than with a recommendation for my favorite mattress: The Royal Pedic Royal Latex 7-zone natural latex mattress.
Quite simply, it's the most comfortable mattress I've ever slept on. I've bought one for my mother, sister and brother-in-law, and have recommended them to half a dozen friends, who all agree (as did six U.S. Presidents, including JFK and Ronald Regan!)
Now, buying a new mattress is never really easy. Manufacturers give nearly identical products different names for different retailers, making it nearly impossible to comparaison shop. Plus, how much can you tell by lying down on a bed in a show room. No wonder hotels like Four Seasons and Westin are doing a brisk business selling their beds. But none of them are built like the Royal Pedic. The latex core features seven firmness zones ergonomically designed to support the spine in a natural, comfortable position. It's like sleeping on a cloud.
If you haven't slept on one, buying a Royal Pedic mattress takes a lot of faith. They are primarily sold through interior designers ("the trade"), and there are only a couple of showrooms in the country where you can find them. If you're in Los Angeles, you can check out their showroom at 341 N. Robertson Blvd. But trust me on this one.
A couple caveats:
1. Make sure you get the Royal Latex 7-Zone model (no pillowtop).
2. The mattresses are priced comparably to other premium, high end mattresses. But a 30% discount is offered to the trade. Order through an interior designer and save.
3. The mattresses are guaranteed if you buy Royal Pedic's boxspring, although it's ideally suited to platform beds.
4. It's really important to turn the mattress often during the first year of ownership, and even still, big weighty people will find some compression in their "regular spot" after a few years of ownership.
5. Despite being a huge bionic woman fan back in the day, I've never slept on a Sleep Number bed, and I've slept on a few less expensive mattresses that were really comfortable, but everyone I know who has tried the Royal Pedic raves about it.